Enabling individuals of all ages to use the power of theater to portray and develop solutions for the complex challenges they confront.
IlluminArt Productions presents:
"Truth in Excess"
An original play about the consequences of underage and excessive drinking
"Truth in Excess" - "14B"
Wagner High School students perform a parody about the $14 billion spent annually by the State of New York to deal with the after effects of binge drinking including law enforcement resources, EMT and emergency room visits, sanitation clean up and more.
"Truth in Excess" - "Moms"
In this scene students from Susan E. Wagner High School, Staten Island, play two moms talking about what happens when alcohol is provided for teens.
Topics we currently address:
• Bullying & Violence
• Underage & Binge Drinking
• Childhood Obesity
• Grief & Loss
• Breast Cancer
Kristiana Longinotti, Ariel Marcus, and Chrissy Basham sing David Friedman's TRUST THE WIND in IlluminArt's Sometimes I Just Want Ice Cream.
Theater is utilized as a vehicle for empowerment. Participants explore topics, improvise, study play-writing, learn acting skills, and perform, giving them a voice.
We accomplish this by:
We accomplish this by:
- Leading improvisational workshops with all age groups, engaging schools and community groups to develop and write new performance pieces on topics of importance to them, offering inspiration, education and enlightenment.
- Training peer educators to be experts on a topic and communicate through theatrical performance as they and audiences recognize their own behaviors and how they impact others.
- Conducting school residencies and after-school programs in play-writing and acting focusing on individual and artistic growth while enhancing academic performance in conjunction with Common Core Standards.
- Staging and producing existing plays that focus on topics with social impact and the potential to be a catalyst for change.
Our programs are collectively empowered by professional actors, directors, composers, and teaching artists. Program participants gain experience with theater arts in addition to developing communication, teamwork, and leadership skills that extend beyond the time they spend with IlluminArt. Discussion guides are created for audiences and staff of organizations with whom we collaborate to also serve as a resource for information on these pressing topics.