Join Us For Our June Performances of IlluminArt's Original Play
Step Up. Step Forward. Stop Bullying.
IlluminArt & District Attorney Mike McMahon Take On Bullying!
IlluminArt was honored that District Attorney Michael McMahon invited us to perform "Peace Up" during the award ceremony for hist first annual "Step Up. Step Forward. Stop Bullying Poster Contest"
at CSI's Williamson Theater!
News & Events
Congratulations to Director of Education & Outreach, Holly Bonner, for winning #Poettweet2017 sponsored by the NYC Department of Cultural Affairs!
This scene from IlluminArt Productions' latest original play takes a tongue in cheek look at the "business" of drug dealing featuring Randy Topper, Kristiana Longinotti and Victoria Venezia.
Enabling individuals of all ages to use the power of theater to portray and develop solutions for the complex challenges they confront.
IlluminArt's Program Highlights
IlluminArt Productions' Touring Company performs a scene written by students at the Petrides School about the consequences of cyber-bullying. It features Erica DeJulio, Victoria Venezia, Valerie Pinilla, Keith Taylor, Antonio Smith, Ben Schofield, and Randy Barrett Topper.
Check out the documentary about IlluminArt made by NYU students Antonio Mendez and Luke Palter.
Artistic Director Randy Barrett Topper sings "You're There" following a scene about loss from his play "Sometimes I Just Want Ice Cream" performed at Camp Good Grief of Staten Island.
Topics we currently address:
• Bullying & Violence
• Underage & Excessive Drinking
• Childhood Obesity
• Grief & Loss
• Breast Cancer
Kristiana Longinotti, Ariel Marcus, and Chrissy Basham sing David Friedman's TRUST THE WIND in IlluminArt's Sometimes I Just Want Ice Cream.
In IlluminArt's production of Truth In Excess, Wagner High School students perform a parody about the $14 billion spent annually by the State of New York to deal with the after effects of binge drinking including law enforcement resources, EMT and emergency room visits, sanitation clean up and more. Students featured are Deirdra Hansalik, Maricelis Feliz, Graciela Gutter, Maryam Dimson, Victoria Zaccardo, and Mariah Kanevsky.
"What Do You See?" is the opening scene in What Goes Around, a violence prevention play performed here by students at the Michael J. Petrides School, Staten Island, NY.
Theater is utilized as a vehicle for empowerment. Participants explore topics, improvise, study play-writing, learn acting skills, and perform, giving them a voice.
We accomplish this by:
We accomplish this by:
- Leading improvisational workshops with all age groups, engaging schools and community groups to develop and write new performance pieces on topics of importance to them, offering inspiration, education and enlightenment.
- Training peer educators to be experts on a topic and communicate through theatrical performance as they and audiences recognize their own behaviors and how they impact others.
- Conducting school residencies and after-school programs in play-writing and acting focusing on individual and artistic growth while enhancing academic performance in conjunction with Common Core Standards.
- Staging and producing existing plays that focus on topics with social impact and the potential to be a catalyst for change.
Our programs are collectively empowered by professional actors, directors, composers, and teaching artists. Program participants gain experience with theater arts in addition to developing communication, teamwork, and leadership skills that extend beyond the time they spend with IlluminArt. Discussion guides are created for audiences and staff of organizations with whom we collaborate to also serve as a resource for information on these pressing topics.